New Social Recommendations Index Now Available [INFOGRAPHIC]
January 26, 2015, 11:18 pm
The Social Recommendation Index, an annual survey of 24,000 active users of social media, conducted by Social Media Link, aims to discover how consumer recommendations and social networks impact purchase decisions.
This year's index uncovered the most trusted sources for product and service reviews, and highlighted the relationships that drive the most action. For marketers, there's no denying the power of consumer advocacy. The common challenge is the who, what, how, when and why. This study helps brands understand the resources consumers use throughout the path to purchase, and can help guide strategic efforts where they generate the most results.
Some key highlights from the study include:
- Facebook and Instagram lead the pack for sharing product purchases, with Pinterest not far behind.
- Trust in Pinterest increased from 56% in 2013 to 64% in 2014.
- Personal stories are better than star ratings. More than 90% (93%) of those surveyed said the most valuable reviews are those that contain personal stories.
- The closer the relationship, the greater the influence. According to 77% of those surveyed, close friends and family impact purchase the most, while only 11% said a celebrity impacts purchase.
- Consumers are not turned off by facilitated reviews, especially if it's written by a friend or family member. Close to 90% (88%) said they trust a review from a friend or family member who has received a free product in exchange for a review.
The Social Recommendation Index is an online quantitative survey, that was issued to all members within the Smiley360 (smiley360.com) community, an online community for consumers to experience brands and share their product feedback. The survey was issued in 2014 from October to November. 24,367 respondents from Smiley360’s community answered the questions via an online survey.
Jordan is the Director of Marketing at Social Media Link. She oversees marketing communication and is responsible for strategic business efforts that help educate brands on the power of Social Media Link's offerings. Fun Fact: Jordan can solve a Rubik’s cube and her favorite food is pickles.